The Outside Death Island stunt is a location that involves a player forcing themselves through the barrier that surrounds the map. Once outside of the barrier, players can run freely for miles, and can even reach the end of the map.
Two Player Method Edit
- Position yourself against the barrier and have a friend drive into you with any vehicle, pushing you through the barrier.
Solo Ghost Method Edit
- Drive a Ghost to the barrier and face it.
- Turn about 90º left and move a about a tank length away from the barrier.
- Strafe right and exit the ghost.
- If performed correctly, the ghost should force you through the barrier.
- The vast sea beyond the map's barriers makes Death Island the largest multiplayer map in Halo: Combat Evolved.
- Normally, when you throw a grenade while outside, nothing will happen. If, however, you melee and throw a grenade during your melee the grenade will be thrown. This is also due to the barrier dynamics outside of the map. (See Object Deletion)
- If a player crouches outside of the map they will find they cannot uncrouch.
- Technically, you aren't completely out of the map, but rather halfway out. The barrier that this stunt bypasses goes down to water level; at that point, it "bends" and covers the surface of the water, explaining why crouched players cannot stand up again when outside of the map.
- It takes approximately fifteen minutes to walk to the edge of the map.
- At a certain distance the island will begin de-rendering due to distance. A player can re-render the island by looking at it so it is at the edge of their peripheral vision.
- Players crouched under the barrier outside of the map can fall out of the map if they jump and move too much.